A Place to Start
Leather, Tools, and Supplies
- Tandy Leather Factory, limited retail stores, and catalog
- The Hide and Leather House, catalog
- Siegel of California, catalog
- SoleTech, offers a variety of soling, crepe, and plastazote options
- Springfield Leather Company, exstensive leather supplies. Untried by us.
- Xordianz Leathers, Leather supplier from India, Untried by us.
Finders (companies that sell materials to shoe repair and shoe making businesses)
- J. Wieners in Roanoke VA. Glen used and recommended this finder.
For a full list of finders around the country visit:
- SSIA Member Wholesalers, Shoe Service Institute of America
A wholesale license is generally needed to purchase from these companies.
- Simple Shoemaking, Sharon Raymond lives in Massachusetts and makes/teaches outstiched shoes, sandals, and slippers.
- Sara's Shoes, Sara lives in Illinois and makes/teaches shoe and boot making.
- The Shoe College, (Universite des Chaussures) Tamera Lyndsay in Arizona teaches classes on designing and creating footware for men and women.
- Shoe School, Hands on shoe school for welted shoe construction in Washington State.
Shoe Making Books
- The Make it Yourself Shoe Book, by Christine Lewis Clark (out of print)
Practical outstitched shoes, moccasins, and sandals.
- Crafting Handmade Shoes, by Sharon Raymond
Fun outstitched shoes, sandals, and slippers
- Bespoke Shoemaking, by Tim Skyrme
Very comprehensive book on shoemaking - does not cover outstitched shoes.
- Shop Talk!: A Leather Retailers’ and Manufacturers’ Journal